Sunday, May 10, 2009

Stitching, exchanges & more!

Wow, it's almost the middle of May.... where is the year going? I'm shocked that the time is passing by so quickly. My sister told me today that my niece will be out of school for the summer in less than 2 weeks. How can it possibly be that close to summer already?? I have actually been doing a bit more stitching lately (at night) & hope to have another finish to share with you in a few more days!!! :-) We've had computer "issues" going on for almost a week & it's thrown me off so much. It's amazing how much some of us have come to rely on computers & the internet. I sure hope we are all "fixed" now... but who knows. Between that & thunderstroms, I feel as if I've been off the computer more than on lately.


Now on to STITCHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have received two more ornaments in the year long ornament exchange group I'm in!! This first one is from Joan! Isn't it finished wonderfully?!?! Joan sent early & I actually waited until after May 1st to open it. :-) Thank you again Joan, it's cute as can be!!
Next is my ornie from Edgar. It's "Christmas Angel" by Midsummer Night Designs. Isn't it great? I really like it! An angel holding a bird & a tree, what's not to love? Thank you again Edgar! :-)



Next is a design by Prairie Schooler than I did for my mom, with a slight variation. It's from the Garden Gloves leaflet, she saw it in my stash recently & said "Oh, you need to stitch that for me", so I did! :-) I gave it to her today along with her other Mother's Day gifts. I think she liked it. :-) I finished it as a magnet since it was pretty small.
This is Little House Needleworks "Be True" with a few color changes. I changed the dress & bird to a blue & I also changed the words to a different shade of brown. I love how it turned out. It's stitched on 32 ct Light Examplar by Lakeside Linens, which I LOVE! It's a beautiful shade of fabric that I plan to stitch quite a few things on!! I have a frame for it & hopefully Ray will get it framed so I can hang it up one day this week! :-)
We're still watching birds and watching our plants, flowers & trees grow. Maybe you can help me out.... we've seen a lot of these lately... and we *think* they're a House Finch, but not 100% sure. Does anyone know? There are LOTS of them around, but we can't find a really good picture match on either the net nor in several books on birds that my mom has. Any ideas?


And this little guy was having fun this a.m. The weight of the squirrel pushes down the metal "cage" & closes off the holes, but it's fun to watch them try to get to the seed. Mean aren't I? ;-)

Hope you have a great week ahead filled with lots of stitching. Thanks for stopping by!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL, those squirrels will eat all the bird seed if they could!

Becky K in OK said...

I love the ornaments you received. Both are so fantastic. My mom has squirrels, and they are so brazen that you can't scare them anymore!

Jennifer said...

Yep, they are indeed house finches. That's the male - the females are a little duller in color.

We have tons of them - they're very funny to watch. And if you have hanging baskets of flowers, be careful when you water them - they like to build nests in them. We had one in one of ours last year.

Jennifer said...

Check out this page:

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/house_finch/id

Chris said...

Great pictures Amy. I plan to stitch the "Be True" pattern, I like the change of the darker brown for the letters. And I like the bird feeder. We have hords of squirrels here, those feeders are about the only way to keep the squirrels from eating all the seed.

Sherry said...

Yes, that is a house finch! I just love nesting season and watching the new families flying from feeder to feeder!

You got some wonderful exchanges and lovely finishes!

Carolyn NC said...

Love the stitching exchanges and finish. Pretty bird - no clue, but great picture!

Deb said...

Very nice ornaments. I'm stitching the LHN piece too, but haven't changed anything on it. I like how yours came out.

Daffycat said...

Beautiful exchange ornament you received!

Love your stitching! I especially like Be True but I love anything Shakespeare!

House finches! I have a pair building a nest in the fern on the front porch. I listened to them singing all weekend.

My dad is involved in a minor war with squirrels. Over the past year, he has trapped over 40 (omg) and taken them outside of the city to release them!

Anonymous said...

beautiful stitching and I love the ornaments you have received. The wildlife and flower pictures are lovely :)

Nicole said...

Beautiful finishes Amy! That is such a pretty bird! Squirrels are such pains! I finally had to take the bird feeder down because they would climb up it and knock the seeds on the ground.

Jennifer Blake said...

The magnet for your mom is adorable. Be True is lovely. Congrats on the finishes.

CindyMae said...

Lovely stitching! I just love all the pictures and especially the one with the squirrel!! Great shot!