Sunday, March 25, 2012

#1 of 2 for today.....

I mentioned in a recent post that there was a lot going on here, but that it isn't good.  We found out the 2nd week of March that my dad has cancer.  He has cancer in both lungs, around his heart, in his liver and in his bones - all over.  My heart is shattered and we're all having a very hard time accepting it.  I think both of my parents are more in denial than my sister and I (and our husbands).  I can't speak for my brother as we don't speak, but I'm sure he's having a hard time too as he has worked for daddy for the past 10 years & is with him daily.  My dad is a wonderful man that's loved by many and always has been.  He's the best dad anyone could ever hope to have.   I've always been told I was a "daddy's girl" when I was little & I have so many wonderful memories, and I'm thankful for that.  I'm also thankful that we have some time to "prepare" and to spend time together.  His grandparents and parents lived to be in their mid-80's & mid-90's, so I just always thought he'd live to be "old". He just turned 72 two weeks ago - about the same time we found out about the cancer.  My mom knew my dad growing up. He was friends with one of her older brothers.  They were married one month after she turned 19 and have been married over 48 years.  I don't know how she will manage, but my sister & I will do anything we can for her and our dad.

They are doing a liver biopsy on Tuesday as the lung biopsy was "inconclusive".  They are fairly certain it's small cell and the oncologist says he would like to try chemo as my dad is "healthy" and active otherwise.   Well, other than the cancer has paralyzed his vocal cords, which is how it was found.  I want him to be here for as long as he can, but I don't want him to spend whatever time he has left being too sick to do more than lay in a bed. 
I know there is nothing anyone can say & nothing anyone can do about this, but if you will please keep my dad and our family in your prayers, I would appreciate it.   I'm keeping as busy as I can so I don't think about it constantly.  I've been working or stitching if I'm not sleeping.  I need to get back to sewing too.... that's coming. 
Thanks in advance for your prayers!

22 comments:

Laura said...

I will keep you and your family in my prayers Amy. Hoping you find comfort in spending time together and that stitching eases your mind.

Natasha said...

Oh Amy my heart aches for you and your family. I know first had the effects of that nasty cancer word. My thoughts and prayers are with you and I will continue to keep you all in my prayers. ((HUGS)) to you and BIG HUGS to your parents.

Andréa said...

Eu vou colocar você e sua familia em minhas orações. E que Deus te dê forças.

Nancy said...

I will keep you and all your family in my prayers...I will ask God for a miracle for your dad. Hugs.

Anna van Schurman said...

You are in my thoughts.

Jackie's Stitches said...

I'm not sure any words I could come up with could provide any comfort but do know that I'm thinking of you and your family.

Becky said...

Amy, I'm so sorry to read the news about your dad. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Charlene ♥ NC said...

You and your family are in my thoughts...

CalamityJr said...

Of course I'll join the others here in keeping your family in our prayers. Take care of your mother and yourself, too!

stitchersanon said...

I am so sorry. Nothing prepares you for that diagnosis. Please do not write him off yet: chemo has come on in leaps and bounds and is not always as bad as we think it will be because of all the extras they give you to counteract the side effects. It can work wonders and I pray that it will do so for you and your dad xxxx

Ginny said...

Amy, I'm so sorry about your dad's diagnosis. I understand, at least in part, what you're going through because just over six years ago, my husband was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma, a cancer of the bone marrow for which there is no cure. He was just 51 years old. Do spend as much time as you can with him, and support him in any ways you can. My prayers are with you and your family.

Christina said...

Lots of prayers going to you and your family.(((HUGS)))

Deborah said...

I am so sorry about you dad. You all will be in my prayers.

Fiona said...

PBS, you know I'm here if you need me.

BrendaS said...

Oh Amy, I'm so sorry to hear this. I will definitely keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Erica said...

I am so sorry for what you are going through! It is a terrible thing that unfortunately too many of us have had to face.
Try to take care of yourself so you will have the strength you need to get you through this ordeal.

valerie said...

Oh, I am so sorry and saddened to read this news. Sending good thoughts to you and your family, esp. your dad. I hope the chemo can help him in his recovery.

mary f said...

Amy,

I lost my daddy 18 months ago to cancer. He had been diagnosed 10 years earlier. At that time they told him 5 years max. You are in my thoughts and prayers and if you ever need to talk, I am here and totally understand what you are going through. You are lucky that you live near your dad. I live across country from my parents and when I said good-bye for the final time it was the hardest thing that I ever did. Hugs to you!

Catherine said...

My heart goes out to you. Hugs and prayers are on the way.

secondhandrose said...

My heart goes out to you. Offering you thoughts and prayers.
My Mum is going through treatment for cancer right now too.

Meari said...

I'm so sorry to read about your Dad. My heart goes out to you and your family. Your Dad sounds like a wonderful guy.

Aussie Stitcher said...

You and your family are in my heart and prayers. {HUGS}