Thursday, January 15, 2015

A finish in January….


I ran across a blog hop which used designs by Brooke Nolan of Brooke's Books Publishing, (whom I have known for many years) and I just love her designs.  So I decided why not - maybe this would be a good jump start to get me back to sewing again.  I've been sewing for many years, but stitching is my first love (as you can see if you look at my blog for a couple of minutes!), and I haven't done very much sewing over the past year or so.  

(OH, and excuse the photos, it's been raining for the past 3 days & I can't seem to get good pics inside, sorry!)

First, I had to pick out fabric and I had these in my HUGE fabric stash.  What goes better with red than blue?  Then I found this really cute summer print with everything needed for the beach/summer - flip flops, bathing suits, beach bags, etc.  I thought it would be cute for the lining, and there are areas on the fabric with sparkles on it - like glitter.  Well of course that made me think of opalescent fabric, so I decided to stitch Brooke's cute design on 28 ct White Opal Linen.  I had to change a few white stitches to light blue so they'd show up.  Hopefully you can see how much the fabric sparkles in the photo below….  (and yes, I left the shoe off-on purpose!)


The purse frame and some red rick rack for the trim along with my fabrics….

So once I finished the stitching, I made the Tammy Bag, then started the Pinny, which was also a part of the blog hop.  Well, I have to admit, I've never done any hand appliqué & wasn't quite sure that I could get it done properly with the limited time I had.  I think it's an adorable design & soon I will get up the nerve up to try the appliqué.  But in the meantime, this is what I came up with… 



 I also decided that instead of a ruffle, I wanted to use more of my red rick rack for the trim-to match the trim on the back pocket of the Tammy Bag.  And instead of the pocket on the back of the Pinny, I pulled out my Baby Go & used the heart die to make a heart shaped needler holder, with a flap to keep the needles from poking me when I pick it up.  I know that doesn't follow the pattern exactly, but I think it's pretty cute!  Below there are several pictures of the front & back, along with one of my little over-one projects in my Q-Snaps called "Beach Blessing"…. 


And here you can see the Pinny laying flat with the flap open & needles in it….




You can purchase the designs by Brooke and the purse frame handles here - www.downsunshinelane.com/ms.htm 

Thanks for stopping by & Happy Stitching & Sewing!












29 comments:

Baa. xxx said...

Beautiful Tammy bag and your cross stitches gorgeous as is the other work on your blog!

ChitterChatterDesigns said...

Such a nice Tammy bag, I really love the cloth you stitched it on. Kind of looks like white sand, just as pretty as it can be! Love your stitching of the bird, and the ric-rac GENIUS! The needle holder on the back is wonderful too. Looks amazing on the bag. Great job! ~Cori

Mary said...

You did a wonderful job on your Tammy Bag and Pinny. I love how they turned out. Love the blue. Thank you for being part of this great hop.

Amy said...

Your Tammy and Pinny are just adorable. I used about the same type of Aida with a little sparkle. Reminded me of the sand. Love your fabric and the sweet ric rac trim. Beautiful work!

Judy B said...

Your Tammy and Pinny are sew cute! Thank you for joining the hop and sharing.

Heleen Groot said...

Beautiful! I love the fact that you left of the shoe (who wears shoes on the beach?). The pinny is darling and completely different. Amazing! Thank you for sharing!

Shelleen said...

Great job. you are so talented.

Sparky said...

Amy your first Tammy Bag and your first pinny...love your changes...and the fabric looks like sand..how lovely to have you included in your first hop..YOU did so well...of course your stitching is sooooo lovely

Thearica said...

Your Tammy is gorgeous on the opalescent fabric! I have ordered some blue for a project with brooke's advent animals!

Love your Pinny too!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love embroidery so your bird is right up my alley - adorable for sure. And the linen - oh my that's gorgeous. My old eyes wouldn't be able to stitch on that tiny fabric but I do so love the look of it. blessings, marlene

Calicojoan said...

I just love when someone thinks out side the box. Your little changes have made it "sew" special. Your Tammy is so fun. Makes me wish for warmer weather!

Needled Mom said...

The Tammy bag is so cute. It was a great idea to change the white stitches to light blue to have them show up. Love the ric rac on the pinny too.

LJ said...

How cute is that! I love the ric rac and your bright blue fabric. The bag turned out beautifully. The needlebook at the back is perfect.

Carol Swift said...

Great choice of fabric and threads for your beautiful Tammy bag and your pinny is just the cutest!

Barbi said...

Cute design! and a GREAT finish! Love the little bag.

Mary Ann said...

I do like how you personalized your pinny. It is ever sew cute! I could see the sparkles in the opal fabric and just love the little extra oomph it adds. Thanks for sharing your projects with us.

Lana said...

Oh...so LOVELY..I love that you thought outside the "Pinny" and came up with your lovely little heart...
GREAT JOB!!!!

Janarama said...

I like the changes you made to the Pinny. Your Tammy Bag and Pinny turned out beautiful.

Charlene McCain said...

Love your Tammy bag. Your stitching is beautiful. And the way you embroidered your Pinny is great. Love the heart on the back. Perfect!

CeLynn said...

Love the ric rack on the pinny idea,it would had been much easier than the ruffle! Your bag looks lovely!

tink's mom said...

Love your stitchery and the rick rack is a great change up. The stitched bird is sweet too..

Michelle said...

Lovely Tammy bag and pinny. Great job, thanks for sharing.

schmidt1016 said...

Your set is just wonderful. I like the idea of using the rick rack for a different look. Of course, your stitching is beautiful!

Leslie S. in MN

Jane's Quilting said...

How pretty is that! Your stitching is perfect and your fabric choices really show them off.

Katie said...

Wow too cute! Love them both.

Michele said...

Very cute. Nicely done.

Quilt n Queen said...

Amy...your Tammy and Pinnie are adorable...I love how you made it your 'own' design!! I love to embroider, cross stitching is new to me...but I must say I am enjoying the end result...even when they are not perfect, I've done my share of unstitching and some I've worked around the mistakes. I've come to the conclusion I can't count!! Happy stitching, Pauline

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Beautiful job. Took a quit peep at your stitcheries and they are lovely.

Deonn said...

Hi, Amy - just found you! So glad I got to see your adorable bag and pinny - so cute with the rick-rack! Love the sparkly cloth for your stitchery.